- The concept that traditional histology is better than digital pathology is not valid anymore (see: Is Telepathology as Good as Pathology)
- According to the presenter traditional microscopy, with glass slides will gradually phase out and digital pathology will continue to grow.
- Tele-pathology is pathology – just like for Telemedicine and Medicine, Teledermatology and Dermatology if we look it as a toolbox perspective.
- And like all the sectors of healthcare, it’s proceeding at an accelerated pace.
- Imagine during COVID if the pathologist and the resident are looking together at slides sitting a 30cm from each other for a prolonged period (let alone an ophthalmologists examining his patient “eye to eye”) !
- ….of course many adaptations had to be taken to cancel the risks; digitalization at work again.
- We are not going back 100% the way it used to be before COVID, we have been forced to adapt and not everything is negative.
Babar Rao, MD. The Emerging Role of Tele-confocal and Tele-pathology in Global Dermatology. 8th World Congress of Teledermatology, Skin Imaging and AI in Skin diseases – November 2020