- People used to argue that digital pathology are not as good as glass histology slides.
- However, if your technician is good, it doesn’t matter if it is digital or not digital.
- A beautiful slide remains a beautiful slide.
- Digitization is done on an existing glass slide and it is scanned by using a scanner. So we can diagnose it.
The answer to the question is, yes.
- If you can digitize the scan, then you can diagnose it digitally.
- The following paper validates this statement:
This is a very recent paper (2020) is about a prospective multi-centered trial:
- When taking into account many pathologies examined with a glass slide and a month later through a digitized slide the concordance was 99% of the reports and the conclusions (major concorance) was 100%.
- This paper thus validates that digital pathology can be as good as traditional histopathology at diagnosing the lesions (General pathology).
Babar Rao, MD. The Emerging Role of Tele-confocal and Tele-pathology in Global Dermatology. 8th World Congress of Teledermatology, Skin Imaging and AI in Skin diseases – November 2020