This year’s conference, was no exception to the live events. It was a great learning opportunity and I’ll share presentations which I found interesting.
Opening remarks by Dr Claire Fuller (IFD, ILDS): LINK.
- images from previous years.
- presentation of the RDTC 301 graduates from 17 countries.
- awards to the leading graduates.
- presentation of the International Foundation of Dermatology – par of the ILDS.
- DermLink prizes: grants of up to 5000 dollars.
- Community skin journal: call for articles.
- presentation of GLODERM: international alliance for global health dermatology.
Cutaneous effects of traditional psychoactive substances: LINK
- Presentation by Dr Scott Norton (USA)
- What is a traditional psychoactive substance: alcohol, tobacco, tea or Khat, the latter of which is commonly used in Tanzania ? What are their effects on hair, teeth, nails and skin.
- In this presentation Skin signs of Psychoactive substances are shown and the focus is being made on two common substances in The South Pacific and South East Asia: Kava and Betel respectively with ichthyosis and Squamous Cell Carcinoma.
Advances in HIV treatment and prevention: LINK.
- Presentation by Dr Nwokolo, Nweka (UK)
- Global HIV transmission persists (1.7 million infections) despite the antiretroviral treatment programme.
- UNAIDS “90 90 90” targets: east africa doing well put varies among countries.
- diagnose -treat-prevent.
- Ways of prevention: combination prevention.
- PrEP studies (pre-exposure prophylaxis).
- HIV treatment pipeline.
- Different PreP modalities.
- Stigmatization: the need to address this.
- No vaccine here !